Thank you for your interest in our library.
Executive Director, Essex Library Association
The Essex Library, an active and vibrant force in the local community, invites nominations and applications for the position of Executive Director to lead the library to new levels of excellence. Serving a population of approximately 6,500 residents across three villages, the Essex Library is located just steps away from historic Essex Village as well as in proximity to numerous cultural attractions including the Essex Steam Train and the Ivoryton Playhouse.
The Executive Director oversees all aspects of library operations, working closely with the Board of Trustees and staff to advance its mission, vision and values. The position requires an MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited school with a minimum of five years’ experience working in a library setting. A combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to successfully meet the position requirements will be considered.
Position responsibilities include:
- Experience in administration and staff management, including team building
• Ability to develop a team by fostering mutual trust and respect
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of fundraising, grant writing and grant making strategies
• Expertise with the use of up-to-date technologies including integrated library systems
• Budgetary acumen and financial fluency
• Ability to work with diverse constituencies, including patrons, staff, trustees, Friends of the Library organization, and local officials
• Thorough knowledge of current trends and best practices for public library services; openness to innovative and creative program and service development
• Success in effectively promoting library services to the community and engaging community partners in programming and special initiatives
• Flexibility in responding to a dynamic technological, social, political and economic environment
• Collaborative problem-solving and consensus-building skills
• Oversees a staff of six employees
The Essex library serves residents of all ages from the villages of Centerbrook, Essex and Ivoryton, with a robust collection of materials and a variety of creative programs to meet their diverse interests. Beyond the intellectual and cultural enrichment the library offers, the library is a vital community gathering space for people to read, socialize, engage with programs or access technology. The library is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, receiving support from the town of Essex and donors.
Essex Library is poised to build on its success through implementation of its new strategic plan focusing on serving the needs of the community, leveraging technology, assuring financial stability, and enhancing governance and engagement. The library is a member of the LION (Libraries Online) Consortium, a self-governing group of 30 Connecticut libraries committed to using computer and communications technologies to share, expand and promote quality, cost-effective information resources and services.
The Executive Director position is full-time, including occasional evenings and Saturdays. Salary range of $72-81K; negotiable, depending on experience. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and three references to ELAsearchcommittee@gmail.com no later than October 10, 2022. Credentials of candidates will be considered as applications are received.
The Essex Library provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.