Appointment services are now available at the Essex Library. Book an appointment now!
Booked to Browse Appointments
- 30-minute appointments to browse the our collection, or use a computer, are available Mondays-Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m..
- Mondays are reserved for Immunocompromised or senior citizens.
- Appointments start on the hour and end at 30 minutes after the hour (i.e., 10:00-10:30; 11:00-11:30, etc.).
- The library will initially make 3 appointment slots available each hour (one for browsing in the Children’s department, one for browsing in the Adult department, and one for computer use in the Adult department).
- Patrons are asked to arrive on time for browsing appointments. The library may not admit late arrivals.
- No more than two individuals from a household should share a slot. Children under 12 must be accompanied by a parent or adult caregiver. Larger family groups or parents/caregivers with more than one child per visit are asked to request a 2nd appointment slot. Visitors of all ages must wear a mask.
Masks and social distancing are required for library use. Masks that fully cover the nose and mouth must be worn at all times while in the building.
Hand sanitizer is available for use in the building. Patrons should maintain 6 feet minimum of social distance from others while at the library.
No visibly ill patrons will be admitted into the library building. In accordance with State directives, staff will conduct (contact-free) temperature checks of individuals entering the premises. Individuals asked not to enter the building for public health safety may still receive contact-free services through Park & Pickup as well as our 24/7 electronic services.
No games, puzzles, puppets, or toys are currently available for borrowing or for use in the building. The children’s train table will continue to be closed for now.
Patrons consent to providing full contact tracing details to the library including full name(s), address, phone number and email address. This information will be kept confidential but shared with public health officials if requested.
Computer, Photocopier, and Printer Access
Our public photocopier and printer are not currently available for patron use.
Patrons needing to use a computer should request a pair of gloves from the circulation desk. Patrons are also asked to sanitize the keyboard and mouse using available sanitizing wipes after use. Used gloves and wipes should be properly discarded after use.
Restrooms and Water-fountain
Water fountains are not currently available.
One gender neutral/unisex restroom is available on an emergency basis for patron use, at your own risk. Diaper changing tables are not available at this time.
Library Material Returns
All returned materials at LION libraries (including Essex Library) must be quarantined for 96 hours; staff are not able to accept returns from patrons directly. Please continue to return materials to our parking lot Book Drop or to our book bin inside our entry alcove. Please do not bring items to be returned into the browsing areas during your appointment.
Library Fines and Cash Transactions
Due to staggered reopening of libraries, delays in deliveries, and materials quarantining, Essex Library is continuing waivers on overdue fines.
Cash transactions are currently limited to incoming payments only – library staff will not provide change. Patrons wishing to settle fines or lost item charges may send payment by check or use the library’s PayPal service, on our website.
Park and Pickup
Contact-free pickup will continue to be available outside the library. To place a hold please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860-767-1560.