Appointment services are now available at the Essex Library. Book an appointment now!
Booked to Browse Appointments
- 30-minute appointments to browse the our collection, or use a computer, are available: Mondays through Thursdays 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 3:00 p.m..
- Mondays are reserved for Immunocompromised or senior citizens.
- Appointments start on the hour and end at 30 minutes after the hour (i.e., 10:00-10:30; 11:00-11:30, etc.).
- The library makes 3 appointment slots available each hour (one for browsing in the Children’s department, one for browsing in the Adult department, and one for computer use in the Adult department). Walk-in requests are accomodated when space is available.
- Patrons are asked to arrive on time for browsing appointments. The library may not admit late arrivals.
- Up to two individuals from a household should share a slot. Children under 12 must be accompanied by a parent or adult caregiver. Larger family groups or parents/caregivers with more than one child per visit may request a 2nd appointment slot. Masks are required for visitors of all ages.
Masks and social distancing are required for library use. Masks that fully cover the nose and mouth are required while in the building.
Hand sanitizer is available in the building. Patrons should maintain 6 feet minimum of social distance from others at the library.
Visibly ill patrons are not admitted into the library building. In accordance with State directives, staff conduct (contact-free) temperature checks of individuals entering the premises. Individuals asked not to enter the building for public health safety may receive contact-free services through Park & Pickup as well as our 24/7 electronic services.
No games, puzzles, puppets, or toys are currently available for borrowing or use in the building.
Patrons consent to providing contact tracing details, including full name(s), address, phone number and email address. This information is kept confidential but shared with public health officials if needed.
Computer, Photocopier, and Printer Access
Due to shared touch, our public photocopier and printer are not currently available for patron use. Please ask staff for assistance for these services.
Patrons using computers may request disposable gloves from the circulation desk. Patrons are asked to sanitize the keyboard and mouse using available sanitizing wipes after use. Used gloves and wipes should be properly discarded.
Restrooms and Water-fountain
Water fountains are not currently available.
One gender neutral/unisex restroom is available on an emergency basis for patron use, at your own risk. Diaper changing tables are not available at this time.
Library Material Returns
All returned materials at LION libraries (including Essex Library) are quarantined for 96 hours. Please return materials to our parking lot Book Drop or to the bin inside our entryway. Please do not bring returned items into the browsing areas during your appointment.
Library Fines and Cash Transactions
Due to staggered reopening of libraries, delays in deliveries, and materials quarantining, Essex Library is temporarily waiving overdue fines on our materials.
Cash transactions are limited to incoming payments only – due to shared touch, staff will not provide change. Patrons wishing to settle fines or lost item charges may send payment by check or use the library’s PayPal service, on our website.
Park and Pickup
Contact-free pickup will continue to be available outside the library. To place a hold please send an email to email@example.com or call (860) 767-1560.